Friday, December 11, 2009

The Inestimable Value of a Good Partner

Marrying my wife is the best decision I have ever made, asking for her hand is the second best. I cannot in words alone fully capture my appreciation of her, but I can describe the sense of satisfaction I had this morning when we sat together this morning and planned the next two weeks together.

I have made no secret that making plans is not one of my strengths. Normally I would not even try, yet I do endeavor to be a member of a society that has heretofore not felt obliged to welcome those of us who struggle with participatory attention. Why? I do not know, perhaps out of sense of filial obligation, or so that I might enjoy some of the material comforts that society has afforded the archetypal Heroes of our tribe – bloodthirsty fascists though they might be. Do I really deserve a second-class status, second-class happiness simply because my body lacks the ability to produce the same chemicals that have allowed others to win in the Game?

By contrast, my beautiful wife steps forward with me every day, (fully aware of my shortcomings), so that together, we may enjoy the fruits of our shared labors. To this partnership, my wife brings focus and drive, and I bring compassion and creativity. Complementary halves, our team is a powerful and well-oiled machine that can overcome any obstacle, benefiting from all opportunities.

To all of you with ADHD, I hope that you can find someone to share your ups and downs, but remember to be unselfish with your partner, letting them use all the strengths that you can muster. Thank you, Becky, for saying, "I do."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a good comment for good karma!