Sunday, December 6, 2009

Supporting Social Vibe?

Charity is a vital social institution, but it seems as though some wealthy corporations use charities in an attempt to shield their public images from negative feedback relating to their unscrupulous business practices. Perhaps, this is old news to most of my readers, but it seems it is a lesson that I have had to relearn.

All of the SocialVibe charities that I wanted to support were propped up by Nestlé, which has engaged in many ethically questionable activities. They have been associated with nefarious water theft practices in  rural United States, essentially muscling their way into a small community with inexpensive or free tap water, bottling that tap water, and then selling that tap water to other poor people. Nestlé buys inexpensive chocolate without guaranteeing its source and, through its own inaction, supports warlords and slave labor in the Ivory Coast. A host of other controversies besmirch  Nestlé's name (e.g., its opposal of the ban on GMOs in its native country Switzerland, selling melamine-laced milk in China, the deceptive advertising of its infant formula, etc.) Believe me, I have skeletons a plenty in my closet, so I would not blame Nestlé if they did not want to crawl into bed with me either.

On the other hand, I am not a $100B global corporation, nor am I responsible for the nutrition and wellfare of everyone who buys, sells, and manufactures my products (but Nestlé is).

If Nestlé publicly acknowledged its misdeeds, showed reformatory acts of good faith, and set in motion a truly salubrious and cooperative plan to improve global welfare, it would be a new page in the history of humankind, and I would never again speak ill of Nestlé. Until that day, and I do not believe that it is impossible, I will not knowingly support Nestlé, nor any of its projects or partners.

Sadly, I cannot now support SocialVibe. Perhaps, I am wrong, but I cannot in good conscience give voice to what I believe to be counter to the general well being and sustainability of humankind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a good comment for good karma!