Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Teamwork Is All About Communication

Among other items that I purchased today, I bought an organizer to help my wife and me better plan out our weeks/months. It is a wall planner, upon which we can jot down events and ideas as we (together) map out our upcoming weeks and months.

I am extremely lucky to be a part of such a great team. My wife is extremely patient with me, and she functions at a high performance level (e.g., she is a smart, high-energy, organized multi-tasker). She has taken the time to learn about ADHD and about how it affects our life, and that has been such a valuable gift that she's given me. By taking the time to learn about my disorder, she's proven how much she cares, and she has made herself an ally in my trial against ADHD.

Most days, I function.

Most days, I focus on getting one job done, and I pat myself on the back for doing that. On bad days, I get nothing done, and I often regress to a stage of pre-Cambrian bachelorhood, drowning myself in snack foods and beer. On good days, which are not as rare since I've met my wife, I can accomplish many tasks, and then my sense of self-esteem is likely to soar, then I wonder why I don't have more days like that.

Today, I've felt was a high-performance day for me. I accomplished much on my own, and I was really happy about it. Unfortunately, I neglected to communicate my itinerary with my wife (I wanted to surprise her). Essentially my work negated her own, and it conflicted with some of our mutual goals for the month – which upset my wife and that always puts me in a crumby mood.

Essentially, I might make progress in one area of my life, while often fouling up another area. The good news is that I am making progress, but mine is a slow row to hoe. I must learn how to keep myself motivated while communicating better with my wife, so that our plans don't conflict with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a good comment for good karma!