Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Death Be Not Proud Redux

Three years ago today, my grandmother passed away. Though I am sad that I'll never see her again, what saddens me most is that her death robbed the world of a special lady.

Most of us make the world better with good deeds, while consciously not causing distress to others. A few exceptional people improve their environs just by being themselves. My grandmother was of the latter; quick with a joke and a smile, my grandmother did not judge others, and she always offered to help whenever there was an activity (whether cooking, cleaning, gardening, or playing games); otherwise, she quietly sat and read. I'm glad that my wife got to know her before she died, and I should consider myself lucky if I was half as well liked as my grandmother.

Today, Ray Bradbury passed away, and he seemed to be the same kind of genuine, likeable person. (You can read Meredith Woerner's great eulogy of Ray Bradbury on io9.) I wonder how he was able to remain so innocent and wonderful despite all the tragedy he must have witnessed in his life. It really stinks when people you like have to die.

Thanks for spending some time with me. Love and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a good comment for good karma!